Monday, February 8, 2010

Grandfather, Father and Son- A Turkish Fable

Starting last week I decided to begin sharing  every week some delightful Turkish fables.  All of these fables come from an excellent book on Turkish literature of the pre-Republic age by an author with the somewhat unlikely name of Epiphanius Wilson.

The Old Man and his Son

6a0111685b4b71970c0120a5723460970b-800wiA feeble old man had given his home to his son and soon the hapless father found himself driven from his home and forced to rake refuge in a hospital. Some time afterward, he saw his son one day passing by and called out to him.

"For the love of God, my son, "he said in a supplicating tone, "send me out of all that I have gained with the sweat of my brow a simple pair of sheets."

The son promised his unfortunate father to do so.

"I will send them at once, "he answered him.

When he arrived at home, he told his own son: "Take this pair of sheets and carry them to your grandfather at the hospital."

The young man left one of the sheets at home and carried the other to his grandfather. Some time afterward, the father happened to count the sheets.

"Why didn't you do as I told you, and carry the two sheets to your grandfather?" he asked his son.

"When my father becomes old and goes to the hospital, I said to myself, I shall need this sheet to send to him."

Technorati Tags: ,,
 
LiveJournal Tags: ,,

1 comment:

Always great to hear from visitors to Nomadic View. What's on your mind?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails