Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Caillebotte

The other day I was watching France 24 and the Culture section was reporting on a exhibition in Paris. The subject was the Caillebotte Brothers.

Gustave Caillebotte’s reputation for his talent as a painter and his role as patron of his Impressionist friends is well established. We also know that he had great affection for his brother Martial. But Martial himself, composer, pianist and photographer, remained relatively unknown.

I was excited about the painter because his work is the kind of impressionist/realist style that I most enjoy. However, when I went online to investigate further, I learned that I had already viewed his paintings in the past without ever knowing who he was. At least, my tastes are consistent.

Here are a few other by Gustave Caillebotte that I like. What do you think?

The Caillebotte Brothers' private world

From 25 March to 11 July 2011, the Jacquemart-André Museum is presenting The Caillebotte brothers’ private world. Painter and photographer. An encounter between Impressionism and photography, this exhibition evokes the artistic and private world of the Caillebotte brothers.

For more information about the exhibition and the artists, click here. http://goo.gl/VnB34

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always great to hear from visitors to Nomadic View. What's on your mind?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails